AN INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION
The Knight Cancer Institute at Oregon Health & Science University, a leader in precision cancer medicine, and Cancer Research UK, the largest independent funder of cancer research globally, formed an international collaboration in 2016 to accelerate research in the early detection of cancer.
The goal of this unique trans-Atlantic agreement is to find lethal cancers as they’re forming so they can be treated more effectively. Survival increases significantly when the disease is treated at an early stage.
The collaboration also seeks to accelerate progress by breaking down barriers for scientists, including:
- A lack of cohorts of sufficient size and a shortage of clinical samples available for research
- Development and deployment of new technologies
- Lack of understanding of the biology of early cancer and technologies to detect its features
2018 conference topic list includes:
- Enabling Early Detection Through Early Disease Models
- Population Risk Stratification for Early Detection; Discovery to Implementation
- The Signatures of Early and Pre-Cancer; Predictive Early Detection
- Data Science for Early Detection
- Novel Technology Accelerating Early Detection